Thursday, September 26, 2019

Scion of Black Blood: Neverborn Indigeneous

The Scion of Black Blood has a very dramatic pose. A weapon in each hand, arms spread out, chest out, wide eyes.  Puffy-chest incarnate. His M2E picture invokes the moment as the crazed fighter wanders through the fog of war out into the edge of battle, taking it all in, just before he's about to go berserk.

And then in third edition, they gave him a name.

Maurice.

Today, I wonder if the Scion has this pose because he's about to flip out that someone named the chosen heir of acid blood something more appropriate for a local British solicitor.

Anyway, I'm going to use the Indigenous color palette I set up on my post about skin tones for Malifaux's Nephilim.  (I painted him about 18 months ago before M3E decided he was half-blooded.)  To get the "peanut worm" translucence -- I chose a purple base, light wash of a deep blue shadow in the crevices and then a thin overcoat of a light but dull blue tone over everything.

As to getting the colors right his other features, I found a decent reference to a 1912 Winchester off Wikipedia (technically a little ahead of the Malifaux's alternate timeline but it still works for what he's holding).

For his horns, I wanted to avoid the typical bone color but wasn't sure what to use.  I little searching and I found a costume piece on Etsy that had a nice greyish / dull violet look. 


Maurice, the tax auditor Scion of Black Blood Color Scheme
  • Skin - Undertone Base: Reaper Twilight Purple Skin, Shadow (Wash): Ceramcoat Purple Smoke, Main Base: Heavy Glaze of FolkArt Linen, Highlights: Reaper Bloodless Skin and FolkArt Parchment
  • Pants -  Undertone Base: Reaper Worn Olive, Shadow (Wash): Olive Drab, Overtone: Heavy Glaze of Ceramcoat Autumn Brown
  • Arm Braces and Shoes: Base: Reaper "Nut Brown"** and Orange Brown, Shadow (Wash): Heavy Wash of Ceramcoat Cinnamon
  • Horns: Undertone Base: Reaper Cloudy Grey, Shadow (Wash): Reaper Cloudy Grey, HighlightsFolkArt Mushroom
  • Metal Bits:  Undertone Base: Reaper Cloudy Grey, Shadow (Wash): Reaper Cloudy Grey, Overtone: Reaper Concrete Grey
** At least I think it's Nut Brown.  It's labelled as "MSP Sample" and I got it for free in a Reaper package.


Here's the first cost of Twilight Purple with a heavy glaze of Linen over the main coat.

From the top down, I could see a mistake in the eye by the nose I would have to clean up.

 First Wash

More lighter skin glaze and 1st coats on clothes.

Leather gauntlets.  Making sure to distinguish them from the pants.

1st wash on clothes and highlighting details

2nd  wash on clothes. Belt clean up and definition. My first attempt at a tattoo - using a thinned out black.  Not great.


Wood grain on gun

Final thoughts: I'm really happy with the style of this Indigenous Nephilim palette.  The overcoat method worked.  The pants could have used a little more definition and shading, but overall I'm proud to bring this one to the table.


No comments:

Post a Comment