Saturday, September 7, 2019

Warpigs: Gathered in their Marshes...

Painting pigs usually always means "pink".  The whole pig - painted pink.  But looking at various pics of pigs - while they have a pink or "pinkish" skin - there's a fine white fur that makes the pink more fleshtone.

So taking the lessons learned from the Swine Cursed - this calls for undercoating and glazes.

Warpig Color Scheme
  • Main Skin - Undercoat: Reaper Maiden Flesh mixed with Reaper HD Entrail Pink, Base Coat: Heavy Glaze of Reaper HD Fair Skin Shadow and Reaper HD Maiden Flesh, Highlights: Thin Glazes of Reaper HD Caucasian Flesh, Reaper Maiden Flesh, and FolkArt Linen
  • Hooves - Base: FolkArt Butter Pecan with dark brown washes (FolkArt Walnut Brown)
  • Eyes - Base: Reaper HD Bright Red
  • Fur - Autumn Brown with Reaper HD Golden Brown highlights

Having played a game or two running the Ulix and his pig crew, I realized I needed two warpigs for some heavy hitters.  At the time I bought the figure Malifaux only had one sculpt.  Since there's no variance in the sculpt itself, I needed to be able to distinguish the one from the other.  (It makes a huge difference in preventing mistakes mid-game.)

So I decided one pig would NOT have the pre-packaged gremlin with banjo riding him.  The other would.

Warpig 1 had the rider.  Primed white and black wash for separation.

First coat was all pink.  He really looks like a hot dog here.


With the first glaze of fleshtone you can already see the more natural pig skin color. I didn't take good notes here, but I think I used a warmer skin color with the first pig - like Fair Skin Shadow or Tanned Skin.


Another snap after more highlighting.

Warpig 2 needed to have all traces of the gremlin rider removed.  Some Dremel work handled that nicely.  Of course afterwards meant some green stuff work.

Primed and separated below.  I was pleased with how well my green stuff work came out.

I missed taking a snap of the undercoating of pink for Warpig 2.  But below you can see the first heavy glaze.

Putting him on a nice muddy base. 

Final Thoughts:
Very very happy with running an undercoat for painting pig skin tone.  Big success. 

Wish I could remember specifically was I used for Warpig 1 on the first heavy glaze (Reaper Fair Skin? Fair Skin Shadow? Tanned Skin?).  The yellow in the color makes an obvious difference in the tone below.  Warpig 2 looks a little cold in comparison.

Also I could have used a dark brown for separation on the ears rather than black wash.  Separation on the ears and tusks look a little harsh. Still table top ready!





No comments:

Post a Comment