Thursday, October 31, 2019

The Carver, part 2 & 3

So for Halloween this year, I'm going to finally post two older entries I started several autumns ago on some of my favorite figures... Pumpkinheaded scarecrows.

First up is Malifuax's The Carver.  I started this entry back when I discovered the triple prime threat of grey primer / black wash / white drybrush.

The Carver became a centerpiece for pumpkin patch terrain I used in a Pathfinder campaign I ran.  The Carver and other pumkpin based scarecrows all got used as Jack-o'-Lanterns - which turned out to be formidable foes for the early levels.  I nearly wiped out the party.  Good times.

As to painting, I didn't take a lot of pics for my 1st coats, so I'm going to show most of the end results.

The Carver Color Scheme
  • Pumpkin Head Base: Reaper HD Fireball Orange, Shadow (Wash): Reaper HD Burning Orange, Highlights: Reaper HD Golden Yellow, and Saffron Yellow 
  • ShirtBase: Apple Barrel Antique White; Shadow (Wash): FolkArt Light Grey; Highlights: FolkArt Parchment
  • Pants -  Main Base: Heavy Glaze of Delta Ceramcoat Denim Jeans Blue; Shadow (Wash): FolkArt Thunder Blue, Highlights: Light Glaze of Delta Ceramcoat Sky Blue
  • Flannel Patch - Base: Delta Ceramcoat Cinnamon, Dark lines: FolkArt Charcoal Grey, Highlights: Pink
  • Wood -  Base: FolkArt Coffee Bean, Shadow (Wash): FolkArt Walnut Brown
  • Straw -  Base: FolkArt Honeycomb, Shadow (Wash): FolkArt Walnut Brown, Highlights: Reaper HD Mustard Yellow and HD Pale Saffron
  • CrowsBase: Charcoal Black , Shadow (Wash): Black, Beaks: FolkArt Ochre Yellow and Reaper HD Pale Saffron Yellow
  • Stitching and Wraps - Base: FolkArt Butter Pecan, Shadow (Wash): FolkArt Walnut Brown
This was one of the first times I got to break out my Reaper HD paints I'd gotten as an ace gift from one of my gaming friends.  All the oranges and yellows all went to painting that awesome pumpkin head.  One challenge I had with Reaper's HD yelllow paints - and I've heard reiterated elsewhere - is the paints separate in the bottle easy and require a lot of shaking.

While I went for sort of common farmer white shirt, I really wanted to get a plaid flannel look on the patches.  So here comes the dreaded lines painting.  Actually, I feel like I'm getting pretty good at this.  And I dread this a lot less than polka dots.


I wanted the Carver to look like he's stepping out of the fields and just started the journey towards town.  So for his base, I gave it two sections - one with the dirt and mud of the pumpkin patch, and one where the town's cobblestone begins.  I also wanted the cobblestone path to have an overgrown, not-used-often look - like the urban faded into the rural.  So there will be more patches of earth in between the bricks than I normally do.

Here's the finished base. I used my canned Terraclips Street color scheme on the cobblestone. I used a deep rich brown with a little red hue for the surrounding earth, knowing that static grass would probably go over it. I wanted to distinguish the two earth tones so I made the "crops" side of the earth a little more muddy - like a wet grey brown. Some general Walnut brown washes separate everything up nicely. 

FINAL THOUGHTS:  Overall happy with the final figure.  The snapped scarecrow post is a fun detail and adds a little bit of drama to the figure -- like he's gotten loose and bringing the terror to the city.

On the denim, this is one of the few times where less is more.  I've looked at several tutorials that give about 5-6 steps to getting a good denim look.  And when I look at what I did here, I don't see much of a difference.  

In retrospect, I could have made him a little dirtier looking.  And I've learned a bit about darkening a figure up to get a good glow since painting him.  If I were to redo the figure again, I would definitely take a more OSL approach with him.  






No comments:

Post a Comment