Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Rag Doll 1: The "Lump" Golem

A couple months ago during my miniature acquisitions, I was looking at doll minis.  Wyrd's Puppet Wars have a ton of great options, but I didn't want to make the investment in another whole game I'd have to catch up on painting.  There's the Wyrd Collodi crew, which i am getting now...but at the time it wasn't available. Of course, there was the Voodoo Doll totem for Zoraida which I also bought and have since finished.
I started looking on Reaper's site to see what doll figures they might have, when I realized there was a "rag doll" figure included in the familiars that came with the Bones 1 set.

Excited to realize I already had him, I hunted through my Bones for the familiars.  Next to all the others, he looked like an amorphous blob holding a bouquet and a knife. (That's him on the far right.)
So I looked at the metal version online, and a saw a pile of Bugles stabbed with a knife instead. 
So I painted him white and ran some black wash over him to get some details to pop out.

Ugh. Maybe the back looked better...
Nope. He looked like something off of CakeWrecks.
I couldn't discern what was going on here. So I gave up and bought the metal version off Reapers website online to see what exactly was going on with this guy. When I got him, it all started to make sense.  
He's a little Raggedy Andy marching forward holding a dagger with two arms - dragging a pouch behind him.
I'm starting to like this guy but it's really important to understand what the hell is going on with him.
First, he's in mid-march stride - so one foot is up, the other is down. 

Second, the right arm crosses his chest and his two-fingered "hand" is resting on the knife hilt. But there's stitching between the wrist and hand, plus a mold line that makes this confusing to look discern a bit.

Third, he's holding the knife with two "hands" so you can see the two digits and the thumb from the other side.

I'm starting to like him.  But I haven't started painting him yet.  Just to give a perspective of the scale any painter is up against - here he is next to a dime.

1 comment: